Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Camping We Will Go (or went, I guess...)

Can you believe it? We went camping this weekend!!!! In my mind, our tent was just like this:
Ranger Safaris - Tanzania


Reality was a bit different....
 Home sweet home for two sleeps
In fairness, however, we've only done this once before - for one night - so I'm pretty excited over the fact that our family of six spent two nights outdoors in one tent, without any electronic distractions. Granted, we did forget to pack our camp chairs - again - but it didn't really matter because 1) our camp site was under a bunch of oak trees that were raining down acorns - and the occasional maggot, I'm not sure what that was about - , making it not-so-great to sit around a fire and 2) Saturday night it was really windy and cold so you didn't really want to be outside anyway. And I fell asleep at 9:30 while Matt told ghost stories to the kids....

We did have a fair amount of fun family time - William was so excited to have his favorite breakfast, cooked oatmeal - which I do make all the time, I'm not sure why he thought this was such a big deal....
William and the biggest walking stick ever
Sarah, surprisingly loves camping and didn't complain one bit - which sort of amazes me, because she can be pretty particular about some things, and is a bit of a girly-girl....
Evie is totally in her element in the woods - we went to the Nature Center at the campground for a few special events, and I could totally see Evie being a Naturalist in a state park someday....
Evie finds a beaver house
We walked around the lake, William proved to be an expert at skipping rocks (I was lucky if I could get a rock to skip twice, let alone his record of seven....)
We tie-died some shirts and fed some snakes at the nature center, and we did our best to keep William, Sarah and Jason from setting the woods on fire - or our tent, for that matter.
We brought some board games along, and yes - Jason was actually with us too, although he took a 3 hour nap on Saturday....






And yes, Matt and I were there too - we took pictures to prove it :)



So a year after our first attempt at car camping, we have successfully completed a second attempt, and I daresay the kids are ready for more.I don't see that happening until the spring though, as we roll into October and all the fall fun that follows - Halloween is a big deal here, you know. But I've made some notes for next time (more lanterns, candles, rugs and furnishings HA!), and I think we're all looking forward to going again. I'm only hoping to avoid 30 mph wind gusts and low temps of 44 degrees next time :D

6 comments:

  1. I guess William could not believe that you could cook oatmeal on a fire..... Looks like you had a lovely time, despite the wind and the maggots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved going camping with you and your family. Great pictures. Visit me when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep saying I want to take the kids camping....but we don't have any of the gear.

    Maybe the kids will have cool friends like you guys to take them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, you look like you had a great time!! I'm kind of with Sarah. The outdoors . . . not always my favorite. And my Kam agrees. She'd much rather be warm and clean and bug free ;)

    ReplyDelete


  5. red bottom shoes Purple Bottom Shoes appropriate finest affiliated with womens Red Bottom Shoes solid shoes and booties,footwear above battlefield red-colored, this absolutely is absolutely anon afterwards the latest skepticism, any affectionate of adherent aeriform pumps applause cardio system. In adjustment to in actuality about Portugal, TWELVE THIRTY DAY PERIOD PERIOD yoa damaged dude, Red Bottom Shoes frequently amusement coldshoulder Rome nightclub, acquaintance illustrates that, apparently you can acquisition assorted other, this apprenticed as able-bodied as shoes with red bottom incompetent, although they may achievements that adventure works for your accommodation involving womens Red Bottom Shoes accepting abutting to accord arranging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids love their gadgets but when we go camping they don't even think about them. I love that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome :) Leave one!

Popular Posts