A long overdue update from the House of Harried Mom

March 1. Not exactly doing real great on my resolution to blog more, huh? A bi-monthly post wasn't exactly what I had in mind. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, no? But I've learned over time that I can't sit down and do this and have it flow if I just don't feel it. And I haven't up until this point. The days are long, but the weeks are flying by, and I can't believe it's Friday again. An update from my world view:

- Matt's been unemployed now for a month. His contract with the Navy at the Pentagon ended January 30, and he's been doing a bang-up job of being Mr. Mom. Things I've heard in the past month:
  • I can see why you drink coffee all day long!
  • I just vacuumed the floor, take your shoes off!
  • I'm so glad it's Monday (ok I may have made that one up, but he does appreciate Mondays more now after being home so much with the kids)
Matt's doing the grocery shopping and some cooking, and getting the kids ready for school while I get ready for work (!), which I totally appreciate. Yay Matt! I just don't want him getting too comfortable in that role, because I totally plan on resuming my place as Domestic Goddess as soon as he finds employment :D


 - I've been working 2 part-time jobs - one doing bookkeeping for a new, small used car dealership. They hadn't done any real record keeping since they opened in June of last year, and I've been playing catch-up since December. And I swear, every time I turn over a rock, I find a nest of snakes under it. I'm also working 25 hours a week at a CPA firm, doing accounting and individual tax prep. I really enjoy working there, and I learn something new just about every day, which I'm hoping will serve us well in our future plans.

- I suppose the really big news is that Matt's not looking for a job here in Virginia, but in Texas - Dallas, specifically. There are lots of reasons for this, that I don't know that I want to get into here, but one big one is that his family is less than 3 hours from Dallas, and being closer to them will allow us to see them more than the at-most yearly we have been. As of today, Matt seems to have a pretty decent lead on a job, and we're hoping to have something solid within the month - which would be REALLY GREAT since we're listing our house for sale no later than April 1. !!!!!!!!!!!!

While I've been working, Matt's been doing all those things you need to do around the house to get ready to sell - patching and painting and cleaning and clearing out and packing and on and on and on. I'm doing what I can on the weekends, but a lot of time I just don't feel like doing much of anything after getting dinner made/cleaned up/kids in bed - with Matt doing probably more than his fair share, at that - other than sitting on the couch with my Kindle and my Kitty, and then heading to bed at not much after 10. Which is so unlike me!
 
The kids are doing well - Jason is getting so big, but is still as sweet as ever; Sarah amazes me daily with how bright she is, and her snappy sense of humor; William still loathes school and homework, but has such a talent for the piano, I love hearing him practice!; and Evie is growing up so quickly - she is so talented and bright, but we're seeing the teenager-to-be starting to emerge. I can only imagine what life is going to be like in our house in the next few years when they're all a bit older and REALLY starting to battle. Maybe I WILL work full time and let Matt deal with all that. Hmmmm..... lol!

I'm also trying to get rid of my Mommy butt and Mommy arms. My wine consumption increased drastically this past fall, which in turn increased my snacking, which consequently increased the size of my hind end. Which, while comfy for sitting, is not so comfy in all my pants which are now too tight. In January I started doing crossfit workouts through here, but I've come to the conclusion that while it's great for building muscle and toning, and I really like doing something different every day, it's not enough cardio, and I'm trying to get more running in, and cut back - or at least pay more mind to - what I'm eating. A moment on the lips/forever on the hips and all that. 

So that's that! We're job searching, working, packing, and dreaming of our new life in Texas this summer. The kids are excited because I've assured them there's no way I'm moving to Texas without a swimming pool, and I'm excited about what the future holds. Hopefully lots of grand things out there, waiting for us to reach out and grab it. You only have one trip through this life (that you remember, anyway) so you have to make the most of it while you're here. We're going to....
**Pictures are from our trip to Duck, NC in August 2012** 
Dreaming of warmer weather here....

Comments

  1. You go, working lady!!!
    I enjoyed reading your update. Good timing for your move--we would like to move out of Georgia and I have a job where they want you to work at home so I could live anywhere but we wouldnt be able to sell our house but most of all I wanted to say now is a good time with your children's ages. Mine are 11th, 9th and 6th grade.....so if we waited for oldest to get out of high school, the next would be in same grade and so on. Plus, Georgia has practically free college tuition if you have like a B+ so there's that.
    Love the family photo of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking super positive thoughts for a great job for Matt! The other good thing about you moving to Dallas is that I might actually get to see you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear from you ... and that things are going well on your end! You sure sound busy enough.
    Really hope you get to move to Dallas and that our your plans and dreams for a future there works out.
    My boss is form Texas ... and he is popping over this weekend for a quick visit home. (Brussels (Belgium) to Texas in 4 days, crazy!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family is beautiful. Love your recaps because you don't sugar coat anything.

    I wanna work, but only for a couple weeks... just enough to get a break from the kids & have them miss me a little. Dad gets all the glory of being missed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to read your update. I am pretty scare in blogland these days, too. But, I have been thinking about you lately as I turn forty this year and I seem to remember that one year you and your husband got motorcycles. (Please tell me I am remembering that you are the one that did that!) You are forever cool to me because of that. ;) Good luck with the possible move and transitions. It sounds like you family is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally hoping Matt's job lead come through! Gosh, a move to Dallas would be huge! And exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cats, Batman! No wonder you've been MIA from blogland. You've had just a thing or two on your plate!

    Move to TX sounds so exciting. Hope things work out with that.

    The first thing I thought of when you said you are listing the house is You "but she just got her kitchen all fixed up the way she wanted it!". Oh well, at least it will show really well and hopefully give you a good return on all of that sweat equity:)

    Keep us posted on how things are going with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stumbled upon your blog. Life sounds busy and pretty similar to mine! My husband is a CPA so I can relate to tax season insanity AND we live n the DFW area. It's a great place! What type of work is your husband looking for here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOW the heck did I miss this post??!!
    What's your dad gonna do if you move?? Or does he live near Dallas?
    I can't believe you're moving. Your house!! You've worked so hard on it!!
    Lots of ?? and !! in this comment huh?
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome :) Leave one!

Popular Posts