Happy Halloween! It feels really odd to be saying that after getting 6 inches of snow on Saturday. Yes, snow. We're used to not having to wear jackets trick-or-treating, but this year we'll be bundled up. Happily everyone's costumes will accommodate that this year. So LAST weekend we went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival, and WOW that was fun! A beautiful woodsy setting, good food, good drink (hard cider - YUM!) and fun stuff for the kids - although Matt joked that every time he turned around he was pulling a $20 from his wallet.
I love me some historical costumes, and I really enjoyed checking out what everyone was wearing. Now this being a Renaissance festival, you'd think that'd be how most people dressed - NOT TRUE!

While there were plenty of people walking around in period costumes - such as this $1500 beauty I was lusting after:
- there were plenty of other people walking around in all kinds of different stuff - Victorian, Fairy costumes, goth, steam punk, and yes there was even a little boy in an Iron Man costume.
There were tons of shops willing to take your money in exchange for something fantastic....
 
...and an archery demonstration. Evie is now pestering Matt for a bow and arrow - I'm not sure how I feel about that.

While we waited for jousting to start, Matt saved seats while I took the boys to the armory for swords and shields - wooden, of course.

These fine fellows got the crowd riled up to cheer for our respective knights...


...and the jousting began. I can't imagine trying to move in all that armor, and it was kind of amazing to watch these guys thundering towards each other holding a lance.






We had ice cream, went on pony rides, and did some rock climbing...




We all agreed we had a great time, and can't wait to go back next year :)
************************************************************************
Sarah asked me last week how people are able to talk. I explained that we have vocal chords in our neck that make sound when air passes over them - she thought about that for a minute and said, so we're electric?? I love how little minds connect things together :)
************************************************************************
Halloween is Matt's favorite holiday & we're almost all set for tonight - just some last minute prep, candles to light and costumes to don! You do dress up, right? Hopefully I'll get some decent pictures to share and we won't freeze our tushies off tonight. Happy Halloween!

Comments

  1. How fun! I always love going to Midieval Times...this would be like that only on steroids.
    I can't wait to see your Halloween costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun!! I've always wanted to go to one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so cool!! There is a fantastic one that is 2 hours away from here that I can not convince my Matt to go to!! :((

    I saw your AMAZING costume on facebook- do post pics on here soon- I want to see more!!!!!!

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Becca, I can't wait to see more pics of the Halloween costumes!

    The Festival you went too looks amazing. I bet that was a great day, the pics definitely look like it was!

    LOOOOVE Sarah's question & answer about the vocal chords.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome :) Leave one!

Popular Posts