I think Sarah made me deaf....


So when Sarah was first born, and you know they have them over on the scale/warmer thingy and are checking the apgar, I tell you no lie - Matt and I looked at each other and thought, oh man we're in trouble with this one! I had never heard a NEWBORN go at it like that with the noise. The nurses were laughing at our reaction (now, this was our third child, mind you!); they said, oh don't worry, she won't be this loud at home! Well. We brought baby Sarah home and all was well. Until her cord stump fell off and we started baths. The noise still wasn't so bad, until she was big enough to move into the tub. I used one of those cubby-sponge things (baby tubs always seemed slightly ridiculous to me - but that's my opinion only!) in the bath tub. Baby Sarah DID NOT like to be bathed and she screamed through the whole thing. My ears would literally ring from the noise bouncing off the shower walls. My older two kids would try to talk to me, and I'd just hear babbling! I joked at the time that my hearing was probably going to go because of her someday....

I think that day might be here! It might just be the din of living in the back part of my house (baby gates, you know) with 5 other people, but when they all get going I swear my hearing is not as clear as it could be. Not off enough for me to bother having it looked at (hey, being a little deaf with 4 kids can be a good thing!) but I think it might be there all the same - the really loud banging sounds seem muffled. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience?? Ah, the things we lose when we have children...

Comments

Popular Posts