F-bomb Friday - A tale of a tired mommy



Ask Matt, and he'll agree that I'm not the most easygoing person. I looked up the Type A personality on Wikipedia, and I'd say it pretty much fits me (except maybe before the competitive part...no?)

Symptoms of Type A Behavior
from Wikipedia
  1. Time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation.
  2. Free floating hostility, which can be triggered by even minor incidents.
  3. Competitive, this made them oriented towards achievement which caused them to become stressed due to them wanting to be the best at whatever it may be i.e. sports or in work.
Definitely #1 fits, and probably #2 - anyway. Let's say I have a short fuse, and a tendency towards a sailor's mouth.

Setting the stage for my story:

It's 2006. Sarah's 3 weeks old, and I'm existing in that new mom daze, from the late-night feedings & changes you have with an infant.

Look how little they all are!

William has just turned 3, and today is Evie's 5th birthday (this was exactly 3-1/2 years ago TODAY!). She's in preschool, and Matt's gone to the office I think for the first time since Sarah was born - I'm on my own to get everyone out the door & down to church for morning drop-off.


At this point in time, we're driving a Ford Expedition. Evie and William have their shoes and coats on, so I send them out to get in the car while I get Sarah into her infant seat & get my own shoes & coat on. Now, William at 3 has already learned that he can open the garage door using the remote in the cars. This is the main reason all the exterior house doors have deadbolts and all the keys are kept way out of his reach. Being that they are Evie and William, I hear lots of bickering and arguing as I'm heading out of the house, and the garage door is going up and down.

Sarah and I are out the door, she's latched into the car seat base, I hop in and start the truck up. The garage door's up so back I go.

BAM!


What the hell was that? I put the truck in drive & pull forward, thinking I've backed into something. I get out, look around - underneath and to the sides, don't see anything. Back into the truck I get. Evie and William are still bickering. Put the truck in reverse.

BAM!

What in God's name is going on here? I can't figure it out. Pull forward, get out, WTF! Holy crap, NOW I see what the problem is (can you guess?)!

The garage door isn't ALL the way up.

Evie and William had been fighting over the opener, putting it up, putting it down, putting it up, putting it down, and I hadn't realized that it wasn't ALL the way up. By now, we're late. The garage door is bent, and stuck open - won't go down, won't go up, and I've managed to rip one of the cross bars off the roof rack of the truck. Lovely. And no, that's not what I said. I'm remember yelling - a LOT, and I'm sure it was very very colorful. Thankfully no one was out and about at 8:40 on a chilly, dreary October morning.

I called Matt and explained the 'situation', and he calmed me down (like he always does!), and after forcing up the door in my adrenaline-fueled rage, I was able to get Evie off to school without further ado. The garage door remained open for the remainder of the day until Matt got home to straighten it out & get it working again.

Thankfully, the crossbar was easily replaced - only a screw had been sheered off or something - and the garage door sustained only minimal damage. To this day, though, I see that little crease at the bottom of the door on the side where I park, and every time I think about that morning. I wish you could have seen me. I wish I could have seen me!

Click on the pic to head to Mimi's at Living in France for more :)

Comments

  1. I'm laughing because I was so sleep deprived last week, after the morning school drop off I parked in the garage, grabbed all my stuff from the boot, grabbed the baby and hit the garage door close button.

    But I'd left the car boot open. We have a people mover so as metal hit metal I let out an almighty pirate curse, hit stop and tried to save the day. Bit of paint was removed. Husband did not need to be informed. Will pretend to be clueless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we're practically twins.

    I broke one of our dining room chairs in a fit of rage last week. Please don't tell my husband....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha. You really are a woman after my own heart. Three kids and a time bomb waiting to go off! You make me feel so much better because I can so relate. I love that you were on your way to the church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. Following from Macey's blog. Prepare for imminent doom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have definitely had way too many of those fly off the handle moments!!!! Love it!

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it great to have a little reminder every morning of how your kiddos are little stinkers. ha ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it wih kids and garage door openers?! My kids bicker over whose turn it is to to it too, and it drives me bonkers! This hasn't happened to us, yet, and I stress YET. Just biding my time until it does, and when it does, I will surely make just as big of a spectacle out of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I never really realized that I was type A until I read those definitions. Uh, ya that's me to a 'T'. {tee?} lol.

    I have way too many of those memories that haunt me of times that I flew off the handle and then looked back in shame.

    It happens to the best of us Type A's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could see this happening to me. It's a good thing our garage is too full for the cars or I'm sure I'd back into it.
    I WISH you had a spy cam in the car so we could see you! LOL!
    You LOOK like a calm person...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, mama! I think we've all had mornings/days/weeks/months/years similar to that! LOL...you do have to laugh, right? If I don't laugh at situations like that, I'll cry and I hate to cry.

    PS - have you seen the Eclipse trailer??? I posted it on my page! It's absofreakinlutely AMAZING!!! I get goosebumps everytime I watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omgosh! that's so funny. i'm sure for you it wasn't at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hee hee..... I did that except I ran over and took out the huge plastic trash container. Lovely. At least there was no trash in it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome :) Leave one!

Popular Posts